Greendale Elementary Community School was originally built in 1927.  Most of the school was destroyed by fire in September, 2000.  The damaged portion of the school was re-built and re-opened in September 2002.  At that time, Grade 1 and 2 students from nearby Chadsey Elementary joined the student population at Greendale.

 The Greendale community is a rural area on the western side of the District of Chilliwack.  The school has always played a central role in the community.  Some students are the third generation of their family to attend this school.  Students attending Greendale come with strong family support.  Parents are an active part of the day-to-day activities at the school.  They volunteer for weekly reading sessions, classroom help, fieldtrips, etc. 

Greendale is now a community school!  Our doors are open to many community opportunities (eg. after-school programming, evening exercise classes, booking space for church activities, special events, birthday parties, etc.)  Check out the Community School section of our website.   

Over the past few years, the school community has focused on improving literacy skills, while maintaining high standards with regards to numeracy and social responsibility.  Kindergarten and Grade One teachers use the “Read Well” program, while students in Grade Two to Six have been using the “Open Court” program.  These programs, as well as other phonics’ based initiatives, have helped to contribute to student achievement at Greendale. 

According to provincial and district standards, Greendale Elementary has consistently demonstrated strong achievement in Reading, Numeracy and Writing. School-level assessment, data analysis, and teacher professional judgment have steered us towards our new goal in focusing on student thinking strategies, especially around comprehension and problem-solving strategies.

The staff at Greendale care about the success of ALL students.  They work hard as a collaborative team to ensure that all students succeed and work to the best of their ability.  In short, they do not give up on students.